We experience stress when the demands of the situation are greater than our ability to meet the demands, and we begin to feel out of control. Often, trying to balance the demands of work, school, and relationships with others, leave us feeling stressed or overwhelmed.
Stress can cause physical symptoms, like high blood pressure, heart disease, can increase accidental injuries, can even cause us to gain weight.
Though everyone experiences stress differently, here are some common symptoms of stress:
- Frequent headaches.
- Frequent heartburn, stomach pain, or nausea.
- Panic attacks.
- Excessive sleeping, or insomnia.
- Excessive Worry
- Obsessive or compulsive behaviors.
- Social withdrawal or isolation.
- Concentration Problems.
- Constant fatigue.
- Irritability, angry outbursts
- Weight gain or Weight loss.
- Consistent feelings of being overwhelmed.
If life stressors are causing you difficulty, therapy can help you either reduce the stressors, or learn ways to manage your responses.